Garbage and Recycle Information
PLEASE CALL THE GARBAGE & RECYCLE LINE AT (618) 259-8101 IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS WITH GARBAGE OR RECYCLING SERVICE.
The Village Garbage & Recycling service will collect both garbage and recycle in your normal pick-up area (curbside or alley). For bulky items and yard waste, the drop-off center is available for all village residents.
Please click here to view the schedule for garbage and recycle hauling:
GARBAGE HAULING SCHEDULE
- Garbage shall be in plastic garbage bags, tied, and placed in a garbage can with a tight-fitting lid.
- Garbage and recycles shall be at the alley/street curb by 6:00 A.M. (may be set out the night before).
- Garbage cans and recycle totes shall be removed from the public right-of-way (alley or street curb) within 24 hours after collection.
- Garbage cans shall not be over 96-gallon capacity and contents shall not exceed 75 lbs.
- Open-end barrels of any size are not approved and will not be picked up.
- Do not set out any liquid waste. All paint cans must be totally dry.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP: LOOSE TRASH, APPLIANCES, FURNITURE, MATTRESSES, ELECTRONICS, CARPET, CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS, TIRES, CAR PARTS, HAZARDOUS MATERIALS, ETC.
HOLIDAY INFORMATION FOR TRASH AND RECYCLE:
If a holiday falls on a Sunday-Thursday, all trash pick-up from the holiday on will be pushed back one day and there will be no recycle pick-up that week. If a holiday falls on a Friday-Saturday, trash pick-up will not be affected, but there will be no recycle pick-up that week.
We encourage the use of the Curbside Recycling program (No charge). Recycles must be placed loose in a recycle labeled receptacle. You may, however, continue to bring recyclable items to the Drop Off Center. Items to recycle include:
- Mixed office paper, newspaper, junk mail
- Chipboard (cereal boxes, etc.
- Magazines & catalogs
- Cardboard (broke down flat)
- Aluminum & tin cans
- Glass bottles (green, amber, clear)
- Plastic milk, soda & water bottles (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 7 in the recycle symbol)
- Colored HDPE (detergent, bleach bottles, etc.)
On the weeks where a holiday falls, there will be no recycle pick-up (exception: New Year’s Day).
Please note, the Village of East Alton recognizes the following holidays:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day